Family Based Immigration

Individuals may become legal permanent residents through a spouse, family member or even fiancé. A family-based petition is a multi-step process. First, a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident relative must prove there is a qualifying relationship between themselves and the immigrant relative. Second, once a relationship has been established, the immigrant may file for an adjustment of status to become a legal permanent resident. 

 Immediate Relatives

Visas are immediately available for immediate immigrant relatives, which include:  

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Children (unmarried and under 21) of U.S. citizens
  • Parents of U.S. citizens (The petitioning citizen must be 21 or older.)

For immediate family members, the petition for an immigrant relative and the adjustment of status can be filed simultaneously. 

Non-Immediate Relatives

A family petition can also be done for those who are not immediate family members. However, non-immediate family members must wait for a visa to become available. Depending on the relationship, the relative will fall into one of the following preference groups:

  • First Preference: unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. This category refers to the adult children of U.S. citizens or those who have reached the age of 21 years prior to issuance of the immigrant visa
  • Second Preference: a) spouses and children under the age of 21 of U.S. permanent residents and b) unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21 of U. S. permanent residents
  • Third Preference: married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Preference: brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

Once a visa becomes available, the family members may apply to adjust status. For current visa wait times, please see the visa bulletin.


A fiancé may qualify for a K-1 visa if the U.S. citizen can show the following:

  • Intent to marry within 90 days of your fiancé entering the U.S.
  • Both the U.S. citizen and immigrant fiancé are legally able to marry and any previous marriages have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment
  • You met each other, in person, at least once within two years of filing your petition, with limited exceptions

Same-sex Marriages

In 2013, the Supreme Court repealed DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act), allowing married same- sex couples to have the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples. This has had huge implications, even in immigration law. Now, spouses can petition for their partner to gain legal permanent residency status and eventually citizenship. In light of these landmark changes, Stavros Immigration is here to serve you and your spouse. It’s time to take advantage of the ever- growing rights the government is extending to the LGBT community.