We understand employment- and investor-based immigration is a complicated process. We are here to assist you in navigating its complexities and determining what type of immigration makes sense for you and/or your business. 


A permanent worker is an individual who is authorized to live and work permanently in the U.S. Through the following employment categories/preferences, green cards can be obtained.

First Preference EB-1: This preference is reserved for:

  • People of extraordinary ability
  • Outstanding professors and researchers
  • Multinational managers or executives

Second Preference EB-2:  This preference is reserved for:

  • People with advanced degrees
  • People with exceptional ability
  • People who quality for a National Interest Waiver, which demonstrates it is in the nation’s interest that you permanently work in the U.S. do not require an employer sponsor

Third Preference EB-3:  This preference is reserved for: 

  • Skilled workers
  • Professionals
  • Other workers

Fourth Preference EB-4: This preference is reserved for “Special Immigrants" such as:

  • Religious workers
  • Broadcasters
  • Armed Forces members
  • International employees of U.S. government abroad

Fifth Preference EB-5This preference is reserved for those who invest $1 million or $500,000: 

  • Starting a commercial enterprise
  • Creating 10 permanent full-time jobs

Temporary (non-immigrant) Worker

A temporary non-immigrant worker is a class of individuals seeking to enter the U.S. for a set period of time and a specific purpose. There are several different types of employment visas:

H-1B — This is the most common visa available for highly skilled individuals. A prospective employer must file a non-immigrant petition on your behalf.  

TN — Under the NAFTA agreement, professionals from Mexico or Canada who have degrees and/or experience in specified fields may gain employment through this visa.  

L-1 — This visa is available for transferees from a multi-national corporation. An individual must have at least one year working for the company abroad prior to applying.

O-1 — This visa is available to individuals of extraordinary ability in science, education, business or athletics who have received national and/or international acclaim in their field.

P-1 — This visa is available for internationally acclaimed athletes and entertainers.

Investor based visas

There are two types of investor visas that may be available to individuals wanting to start a business in the U.S.  

E-1 — For individuals involved in the sale, purchase, and trade of goods and services.

E-2 — For individuals who want to invest or start up a business in the U.S., this temporary U.S. work visa may also be available to employees, spouses and children.